Friday 8 November 2013

Review: NYX Smokey Shadow palette (NYX The Mortal Instruments City of Bones Collection)

Nyx is one of the brands that I wanted to try for so long as I already tried their jumbo pencils and blushes. They are relatively cheap with good quality products.

When I went to Sephora in Malaysia, I saw this collection beautifully sitting on the shelf. The price is quite cheap for the amount of products that you get which include the smokey palette, studio liquid eyeliner, mascara, matte lip cream, a jumbo pencil and a blush. What caught my attention was the smokey palette because I was eye-ing the Urban Decay Smoked Palette for a while but was still contemplating to buy it. Since I already have the Urban Decay Naked Palette, I question if I will get full use out of their smoked palette because their naked palettes also has dark colors for smokey eyes. Nyx Smokey Palette seems to be the perfect alternative for it.

In the collection, the color of the blush caught my eye as well as it looks so gorgeous on the pan; a corally pink with golden shimmers ( I heard this is a dupe for Orgasm). I also wanted to try the matte lip cream as it comes in a lip gloss packaging but the matte name intrigued me. How can a lip gloss be matte? Not possible. The color of the lip cream is gorgeous as well so I thought why not get this collection with an addition of extra stuff I could try out. I already had the jumbo pencil in milk and in this collection they include a jumbo pencil in cashmere (gold shimmer), should be a good opportunity to try other colors of the jumbo pencil. It costs me around RM99=3400 PKR=USD 31,its quite a good deal really.

However in an attempt to give this a review, I only tried the smokey palette, the jumbo pencils and blush, so I could only give reviews to ones that I tried. I did not want to use the lip cream, mascara and eyeliner yet as I have so much to use up in my drawer. Do not worry I have a picture of all the products and a makeup look I did with the products below.






The pigmentation of this palette is quite good for a drugstore brand, but you do need to apply a few layers to get full color. There are quite a lot of fallouts as its not as creamy as the urban decay eyeshadows and its more on the drier side. Nothing bad really to say about this palette.


This jumbo eye pencil I applied before the eyeshadow, the pigmentation is quite lacking as it leaves mostly shimmers but not the actual color on the lids. You do need to apply more if you want the color to show up. This doesnt happen to the milk shade that I have, as that one, one swipe on the lids is enough to get good pigmentation. I do believe because this one has shimmer that its more sheer on the lids while the milk shade is a matte color.








The blush is super pigmented, one swipe on my cheeks is enough. I just love the color, on the top swatch it looks more pink but on the lower swatch the gold shimmer is more prominent. I think the blush looks different at different lightings, its multi colored!!

This color is in pinched FYI! I tried swatching with my ELF blushing and bronzer duo (which is also said to be a dupe for Nars orgasm) but these two are worlds different. The nyx one is more on the pink side and the Elf is more on the coral side.I have never seen the Nars Orgasm in real life, so I could not comment on which one is more similar to it.
Left- Nyx Blush in Pinched
Right- ELF Blushing and Bronzer duo


Okay, now onto the look, I followed the direction of the booklet. I applied the jumbo pencil first then apply the beige color on my whole lid and for the crease, I mix the blue and white together to lighten the blue. As a brow highlight, I used the white shadow. I also applied the blush on my cheeks.



Hope this review is helpful for you guys, I try to be as detail as I can. I will update this review once I try out the mascara, liquid liner and the matte lip cream.

UPDATE 20/11/2014:
I have started using the mascara and liquid liner. The mascara is an "average" mascara, no volumizing and lengthening. Does nothing for my sparse lashes.

As for the liquid liner, the brush is quite long and difficult to maneuver. staying power is good but dislike the formula and is more on the glossy side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment