Friday 17 July 2015

How to: DIY PURPLE SHAMPOO reduce brassiness/orange tone to hair


Hai ya'all...
I am quite a newbie when it comes to dying my hair but I heard a lot about how when you dye your hair, it never quite really comes out like the way you wanted. This is what happens to me when I dyed my hair at the saloon.

 Firstly, she colored my whole hair with a brown color(base color) and then in streaks color 3 different tones of browns and ash blondes. I choose the color that I want, it looks good from the color palette. Ash blonde hair..but didnt really looked like the picture that I showed to the colorist.
My hair after coming back from the saloon the first time


Right after dyeing them..It looks quite gorgeous but the very next day my hair became ORANGE!! I panicked and quickly showed my ORANGE hair to my colorist, she recommended that I came back for a touch up..After the touch up, it was looking much better but the lightness of my hair is toned down but the orange-ness from the base color is still there especially the upper part of my hair.

My hair the next day (ORANGE MESS)!!


I researched online about how to tone down orange-ness/brassiness and found out about the PURPLE SHAMPOO.. intriguing as it is, it is not availuable here in Pakistan. Tried to search for a DIY and trying out things form my house, I found it..the perfect shade of Blue-violet to counteract the brassiness. orange is opposite to blue/purple in the color family. Same as when you are trying to counteract undereye circle, you find a peach/orange concealer to counteract the blue dark circles.

Here is my recipe for the DIY:

  • You need a gentian violet lotion ( ones you get at pharmacy for wounds/cuts)
  • Any shampoo
  • A spoon/spoolie ( I use a cotton bud) so that I just throw in the bin once its done
  • glove
  • newspaper (to cover your countertop when you are doing the mixing)


Color of the dye before mixing with shampoo

After mixing with the shampoo, nice purple color

BEWARE: This gentian violet lotion on its own STAINS EVERYTHING!! the newspaper and glove is a must! (I tried without it and my bathroom looks like a crime scene).

But do not be scared as when you mix it with your shampoo it will not stain you. AGAIN BEWARE THAT YOU MIX THEM WELL. If some of the dye is left without mixing with the shampoo, you will have PURPLE HAIR!! BEWARE!! 

PS: I tried it on myself, no purple stain were left after I mix the shampoo.

The highlights are dull before using the purple shampoo

After using the purple shampoo. Highlight color more bright
After second use of the purple shampoo. ash tone more visible


Application:

Shampoo your hair like you normally would and leave it on for 5 minutes (you can brush your teeth, shave during this time).

Dry hair as usual and see the difference! 

My thoughts:

I only used them once and see a lot of difference. The most difference I saw was the orange/brassiness especially on top of my hair were gone/almost gone and the highlight color is brighter and lighter. I will update once I use them a couple of times. 

PS: I used this shampoo with brown with light highlights. I dont know how it will work with blondes and plantinum hair.




5 comments:

  1. this is sooo easy ill try it tooo hate the orange brassiness thanks for the lovely idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is sooo easy ill try it tooo hate the orange brassiness thanks for the lovely idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the guide, I tried it and it was great for my hair. I also tried this other diy purple shampoo guide and it had very similar results. The only problem is it can get a little bit messy making this stuff at home, but I do like the savings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But you didn't mention how much lotion to mix with the shampoo????

    ReplyDelete